Thursday, October 8, 2009

My 5 Top Professional Resources.

This I found was quite tricky as for being both a performer and someone who is lucky enough to have their own business depending on which side of the coin I am on makes me use different resources in order to aid me. So I thought I would show 5 resources for the two types of the business I am involved in and hope that enables you to see the differences but also the links between the two worlds(as such) I operate in.

Business first! (hehe)

BUCKS CC LEA

For me this is a vital site. Baring in mind I not only run a theatre company for kids I am an agent aswell I have to be upto date on the laws and practices in regards to children's performance and employment.  Using this site and visiting it daily enables me to download the required forms but also refer casting directors to the site so they can see under what terms they are employing the children aswell as being able to see important times etc that different ages are required for. Helpful and full of information this resource also allows me to have a good relationship with our local LEA as this helps when needing to licence children quickly but also showing them that we comply within their guidelines.

ISTD

This is the examination board we use for the dancing school and company. They provide a wonderful syllabus service for both youngsters to adult. It also enables me to keep my qualifications up to the correct standard as well as learning about child development and what is happening in the dance world. It keeps me in touch with other dance teachers and performers alike and is also a place where news is updated etc in regards to the industry.Not only does ISTD offer qualifications it enables you to hire their studios, go on their courses, study full or part-time vocationally and also is a government recognised body. For both the dancing school and my company this enables parents and students to understand their training aswell as the standards they need to be working at and what they should be aiming for.

Performing Arts Colleges Websites

Here are a few links (not all) that I use.

Italia Conti

Performers

Royal Academy of Music

SYTS

Laine Theatre Arts

Although I could add these for hours above is a selection of both 11-16 yrs education, 16+ and 18+ in regards to the professional vocational colleges my students and parents aspire to get their children into. I recommend these to both parents and students who feel this is the direction in which they wish to take. Not only does it allow them to see what is required and obviously in some cases it is the glossy version. It enables me to see the current standard and intakes of what each college is after. It also allows us to see the graduation destination potnetial and what past students are currently now doing in the industry. These websites also enable me to judge the market place and look at my own company and reflect upon how it can be improved and changed to work with the current market place and with what I am aiming to achieve personally in regards to business growth etc.

Sheet Music

This is always a very useful source as whether it would be for auditions, class, general pleasure or for research purposes I can almost guarentee everytime I look on here or reccommend it to a student that they will find what they need. It's an extensive library that is reasonable and cost effective as well as being easy to use 24hrs a day, seven days a week. Both business and performance wise this site and others alike are a crucial resource to what I do as you are able to check whether it is the right song by listening to it and change keys for the appropriate reasons if this required. I recommend it to anyone as its a great one for finding some of those classics that don't seem to be in the bumper books etc.

Child Development

Now this is a site where personally in regards to child development I have learnt alot. Most of my experience in working with children and teaching them has enabled me to get a real insight to their development stages but over the years has also enabled me to pick up on development problems and special needs. Obviously depending on the age and needs of the child depends on how you respond and teach them and there a clear differences in hows girls learn to boys. However as I am not a parent and a young teacher I recently found myself asking more questions as I developed my business into dealing with children from as young as 6 weeks old and how sound, light etc can develop there learning process. For this I have done a lot of research not just on an arts basis but into how people raise their children etc and what the general stages are. This site has proved to be really beneficial to me as it breaks it down into informative sections allowing you to understand quickly etc. If you wish to work with children or find out about it more then look at the site or by all means blog me!

Although I’ve split my life into Business and Personal I am fully aware the two sides of my life cross over. I always separate them as otherwise I feel depending on what type of performer you are you can lose sight of what you originally set out to do. By this I mean I trained to be a performer and that is what I am but also to earn money when not performing I have my business and I suppose if you wanted to call it this is my “2nd life” I lead. I feel not only does this work it helps me prioritise things of importance and gives me a structure rather than just waiting for the phone to ring and merging the two and not handling either very well..

No comments:

Post a Comment